Selected Publications since 2012:
Murphy MSQ, Bytautiene E, Saade G, Smith GN. (2015) Alterations to the maternal circulating proteome after pre-eclampsia. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Available online: doi:10.1016/j.ajog.2015.10.008
Murphy MSQ, Tayade C, Smith GN. (2015) Evidence of inflammation and predisposition toward Metabolic Syndrome after pre-eclampsia. Pregnancy Hypertension. Available online: doi: 10.1016/j.preghy.2015.09.007
- McRae K E, Davies GAL,Easteal RA, Smith GN. (2015) Creation of plastinated placentas as a novel teaching resource for medical education in obstetrics and gynaecology. Placenta. 36 (9): 1045 - 1051.
Murphy MSQ, Seaborn GEJ, Redfearn DP, Smith GN. (2015) Reduced heart rate variability and altered cardiac conduction after pre-eclampsia. PlosOne. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0138664
Murray EKI, Murphy MSQ, Smith GN, Hopman WM, Othman M, Graham CH. (2015) Thromboelastography identifies cyclic haemostatic variations in healthy women using oral contraceptives. Thrombosis Research. . Available online: doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2015.08.011
Murphy MSQ, Casselman RC, Tayade C, Smith GN. (2015) Differential expression of plasma miRNA in pre-eclamptic patients at delivery and one year postpartum. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 213(3):367.e1-9 doi:10.1016/j.ajog.2015.05.013
- Rodger,M.A., M.C.Walker, G.N.Smith, P.S.Wells, T.Ramsay, N.J.Langlois, N.Carson, M.Carrier, R.Rennicks White, S.Shachkina, S.W.Wen. Is thrombophilia associated with placenta-mediated pregnancy complications? A prospective cohort study. J Thromb Haemost 2014 Apr;12(4):469-78.3.
- Venditti CC, Smith GN.Involvement of the heme oxygenase system in the development of preeclampsia and as a possible therapeutic target. Womens Health (Lond Engl). 2014 Nov;10(6):623-43. doi: 10.2217/whe.14.54.
- Murphy MS, Vignarajah M, Smith GN. Increased microvascular vasodilation and cardiovascular risk following a pre-eclamptic pregnancy. Physiol Rep. 2014 Nov 26;2(11). pii: e12217. doi: 10.14814/phy2.12217. Print 2014 Nov 1.
- Venditti CC, Casselman R, Young I, Karumanchi SA, Smith GN. Carbon monoxide prevents hypertension and proteinuria in an adenovirus sFlt-1 preeclampsia-like mouse model. PLoS One. 2014 Sep 9;9(9):e106502. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0106502. eCollection 2014.
- Wen, S.W., J.Champagne, R.Rennicks White, W.I.Fraser, G.N.Smith, D.A.Fergusson, M.C.Walker. Effect of folic acid supplementation in pregnancy on preeclampsia: the folic acid clinical trial (FACT) study. J Pregnancy 2013 doi 10.1155/2013/294312
- M.Cussimano, J.Pudwell, M.Roddy, C.K.J. Cho, G.N.Smith. The Maternal Health Clinic: An initiative for cardiovascular risk reduction in women with pregnancy-related complications. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2013 Dec 4 doi 10.1016/j.ajog.2013.12.001
- Luo, Z.C., P.Julien, S.Q.Wei, F.Audibert, G.N.Smith, W.D.Fraser. Plasma cotinine indicates an increased risk of preeclampsia in previous and passive smokers. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2013 Oct 2. pii: S0002-9378(13)01034-X. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2013.09.041.
- S.Nascimento, J.Pudwell, F.Surita, K.Adamo, G.N.Smith. The effect of physical exercise strategies on weight loss in postpartum women: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Obes (Lond). 2013 Sep 19. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2013.183. [Epub ahead of print]
- C.Venditti, L.Adamson, M.S.Q.Murphy, J.Sled, G.N.Smith. Chronic carbon monoxide inhalation during pregnancy augments uterine artery blood flow and uteroplacental vascular growth in mice. Am J Physiol 2013 Aug 28. [Epub ahead of print] 7.
- Ray, J.G., A.J.McGeer, J.M.Blake, G.Lebovic, G.N.Smith, M.H.Yudin Peripartum outcomes: non-adjuvanted v. adjuvanted H1N1 vaccination. CMAJ. 2014 Feb 4;186(2):137.
- G.N.Smith, J.Pudwell, M.Roddy. 2013: The Maternal Health Clinic: A new window of opportunity for early heart disease risk screening and intervention for women with pregnancy complications. JOGC 35(9):831-839.
- G.N.Smith, G.Saade. Pregnancy as a window to future health: The development of complications in pregnancy provides a new window of opportunity for early heart disease risk screening and intervention for women. Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, 2013; www.smfm.org/attachedfiles/pregwindowSMFM513.pdf (pg 1-8). Highlighted ScienceDaily July 1, 2013. 10.
- Sprague, A., S.I.Dunn, D.B.Fell., J.Harold, M.C.Walker, S.Kelly, G.N.Smith (2013) Measuring Quality in Maternal-Newborn Care: Developing a Clinical Dashboard. J Obstet Gynaecol Can; Jan 35(1):29-38.
- Murphy, MSQ, RC Casselman, GN Smith (2013) Postpartum alterations in circulating endothelial progenitor cells in women with a history of pre-eclampsia. Pregnancy Hypertension.
- Wen S, H.Tan, R.Xie, G.N.Smith, M.Walker. (2012) A pre-conception cohort to study preeclampsia in China: Rationale, study design, and preliminary results. Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2012 Nov;37(11):1081-7. doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1672-7347.2012.11.001.
- Smith GN, J.Pudwell, M.Walker and S.W.Wen for the PE-NET (2012) Risk estimation of metabolic syndrome at one and three years after a pregnancy complicated by preeclampsia. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2012 Sep;34(9):836-41. (PE-NET: CIHR FMI 63194 and HSFC PG-03-0175-PE-NET)
- Smith GN, J.Pudwell, M.Walker and S.W.Wen for the PE-NET (2012) Ten year, thirty year and life-time risk estimates of cardiovascular disease following a pregnancy complicated by pre-eclampsia. J Obstet Gynaecol Canada, 34(9):830-835. (PE-NET: CIHR FMI 63194 and HSFC PG-03-0175-PE-NET)
- Smith GN, J.Pudwell, M.Walker and S.W.Wen for the PE-NET. (2012) A history of pre-eclampsia identifies women with cardiovascular risk factors including the metabolic syndrome. Follow up of the Pre-Eclampsia New Emerging Team longitudinal prospective cohort. J Obstet Gynaecol Canada 34(9):836-841. (PE-NET: CIHR FMI 63194 and HSFC PG-03-0175-PE-NET)
- Yanfang, G., G.N.Smith, S.W.Wen, M.C.Walker. (2012) Folate Metabolism and Preeclampsia. Fetal and Maternal Medicine Review 23:2, May 2012.
- Wen SW, RH Xie, H Tan, MC Walker, G.N.Smith, R Retnakaran. Preeclampsia and gestational diabetes mellitus: pre-conception origins? Med Hypotheses. 2012 Jul;79(1):120-5. Epub 2012 Apr 26.
- Zhai,D., Y.Guo, G.N.Smith, D.Krewski, M.Walker, S.W.Wen (2012) Maternal exposure to ambient-level carbon monoxide is associated with a decreased risk of developing preeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012 Jul;207(1):57.e1-9. Epub 2012 Mar 29. Selected as the “Journal Club” article-of-the-month.
- Venditti, C., G.N.Smith. Self-reported smoking status as an indication of tobacco smoke exposure in pregnancy. Open Journal Obstetrics and Gynecology (OJOG). 2012, 2, 56-61.