Dr. Johri is a practicing cardiologist and researcher (clinician-scientist). He joined the Echocardiography group at Queen’s University in 2010 after completing an Advanced Fellowship in Echocardiography (Level III) and Multi-modality Imaging at Harvard University Medical School, Boston MA. He is the Founder/Director of the Cardiovascular Imaging Network at Queen's (CINQ, www.cinqlab.com) and has the distinction of Fellow of the American Society of Echocardiography (ASE) in recognition of his various contributions to the advancement of the field of ultrasound.
He is also the Founder of a new cardiovascular network (www.vascnet.com) and a journal on point-of-care cardiac ultrasound (www.pocusjournal.com)
For research project interests (Graduate Students and PHGY 499), please contact by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit lab website: www.cinqlab.com
Dr. Johri's research interests are in cardiovascular disease (atherosclerosis) and Echocardiography: Specifically in carotid ultrasound, 3D plaque quantification, 3D echocardiography, quality control in the echo lab, interventional echocardiography, Strain, and Hand Held Cardiac Ultrasound (point-of-care POCUS).
The innovation of non-invasive techniques to predict and diagnose atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease with a focus on three-dimensional carotid ultrasound. Ultrasound is used for: assessment of carotid plaque for early detection of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ACVD), enhancing the stress echocardiogram to better predict significant ACVD, integrating genetic biomarkers to predict ACVD, and monitoring response to treatment of ACVD using novel pharmacologic agents.
His laboratory is supported by the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), SEAMO, Ontario Centre of Excellence, and the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSF).
Ongoing Research Programs:
Ultrasound carotid plaque characterization in a community based cardiac clinic to predict cardiovascular outcome.
Co-Investigator: Dr. Murray Matangi, Dr. Jasna Deluce
Translational Medicine in Clinical Engineering – Bringing Echo Particle Tracking Velocimetry (EchoPTV) into the Clinical Realm in the Investigation of Novel Plaque Vulnerability Features.
Co-Investigator: Dr. David Rival (Mechanical Engineering)
Novel Ultrasound-Guided Microcarriers for Atherosclerosis Targeted Therapy (NUGATT)
Co-Investigator: Dr. Jianhua Zhou, Sun Yat-sen University
Carotid Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound (CEUS) as a Risk Stratification Tool for Cardiovascular Disease.
Co-Investigator: Tina Zhu.
Vascular Imaging as a Barometer for Early Detection of Cardiovascular Disease: The VIBE Program.
The Heart of an Athlete – The Queen’s University Screening Study.
Co-Investigator: Nathaniel Moulson.
- Herr JE, Hétu MF, Li TY, Ewart P, Johri AM. (2019) Presence of Calcium-Like Tissue Composition in Carotid Plaque is Indicative of Significant Coronary Artery Disease in High Risk Patients. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. (in press)
- Mantella LE, Colledanchise K, Bullen M, Hétu MF, Day AJ, McLellan CS, Johri AM. (2019) Handheld Versus Conventional Vascular Ultrasound for Assessing Carotid Artery Plaque. International Journal of Cardiology. (in press)
- Holden RM, Hétu MF, Li TY, Ward E, Couture LE, Herr JE, Christilaw E, Adams MA, and Johri AM. (2019) Circulating Gas6 is associated with reduced human carotid atherosclerotic plaque burden. Clinical Biochemistry. (in press)
- Huang W, Chen Y, Chen L, Zhong J, Johri A, Zhou J. (2019) Multi-modality Imaging-Guided Local Injection of Eccentric Magnetic Microcapsules with Electromagnetically Controlled Drug Release. Cancer Reports. (in press)
- Moulson N, Jaff Z, Wiltshire V, Taylor T, O'Connor HM, Hopman WM, Johri AM (2019) Feasibility and Reliability of Non-expert POCUS for Cardiovascular Pre-participation Screening of Varsity Athletes: The SHARP Protocol. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. Can J Cardiol. 35(1):35-41.
- Johri AM, Poirier P, Dorian P, Fournier A, Goodman JM, McKinney J, Moulson N, Pipe A, Taylor T (2019) Canadian Cardiovascular Society/Canadian Heart Rhythm Society Joint Position Statement on the Cardiovascular Screening of Competitive Athletes. Can J Cardiol. 35(1):1-11.
- Holden RM, Hétu MF , Li TY, Ward E, Couture LE, Herr JE, Christilaw E, Adams MA, Johri AM. (2018) The Heart and Kidney: Abnormal Phosphate Homeostasis is Associated with Atherosclerosis. J Endocr Soc. 28;3(1):159-170.
- Patton D, Li TY, Day A, Hétu MF, Day AG, Preece E, Matangi MF, Johri AM. (2018) Speckle Tracking Carotid Artery Circumferential Strain is a Marker of Arterial Sclerosis but not Coronary Atherosis. J Clin Ultrasound. 46(9):575-581.
- Yau O, Hétu MF, Herr JE, Adams MA, Johri AM. (2018) Development of a Carotid Vulnerable Plaque Phantom Model Evaluated by Pixel Distribution Analysis. Ultrasound Med Biol. 44(12):2768-2779.
- Alexander B, Baranchuk A, Haseeb S, Van Rooy H, Ibrahim O, Kuchtaruk A, Hopman W; Çinier G; Hétu MF; Li T; Johri AM. (2018) Interatrial Block Predicts Atrial Fibrillation in Patients with Carotid and Coronary Artery Disease. J Thorac Dis. 10(7):4328-4334.
- Johri AM, Durbin J. (2018) Reply to “Development of a Point-of-Care Cardiovascular Ultrasound Program for Preclinical Medical Students”. Letter to the editor. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 31(9):1066-1067.
- Zhu T, Lavi, S, Johri AM. (2018) Physicians' Attitudes Towards Anticoagulation for Prevention and Treatment of Left Ventricular Thrombus following Anterior Myocardial Infarction. Can J Cardiol. 34(8):1089.e11-1089.e12.
- Moulson N, Kuljic N, McKinney J, Taylor T, Hopman WM, Johri AM. (2018). Variation in Preparticipation Screening Medical Questionnaires and Physical Examinations Across Canadian Universities. Can J Cardiol. 34(7):933-936.
- Tang J, Mi J, Huang W, Zhong H, Li Y, Zhou J, Johri AM. (2018) Controlled drug release from ultrasound-visualized elastic eccentric microcapsules using different resonant modes. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 6(13).
- Gregg S, Li TY, Hétu MF, Pang SC, Ewart P, Johri AM. (2018) Relationship between Carotid Artery Atherosclerosis and Bulb Geometry. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 34(7):1081-1090.
- Johri AM, Durbin J, Newbigging J, Tanzola R, Chow R, Sabe De, Tam J. (2018) Cardiac Point of Care Ultrasound: State-of-the-Art in Medical School Education. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 31(7):749-760.
- Patton DM, Enzevaie A, Day A, Sanfilippo A, Johri AM. (2017) A quality control exercise in the echo laboratory: Reduction in inter-observer variability in the interpretation of pulmonary hypertension. Echocardiography. 34(12):1882-1887.
- Bhatia RS, Ivers NM, Yin XC, Myers D, Nesbitt GC, Edwards J, Yared K, Wadhera RK, Wu JC, Kithcart AP, Wong BM, Hansen MS, Weinerman AS, Shadowitz S, Elman D, Farkouh ME, Thavendiranathan P, Udell JA, Johri AM, Chow CM, Hall J, Bouck Z, Cohen A, Thorpe KE, Rakowski H, Picard MH, Weiner RB. (2017) Improving the Appropriate Use of Transthoracic Echocardiography: The Echo WISELY Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol. 29;70(9):1135-1144.
- Li TY, Tse MY, Pang SC, McLellan CS, King WD, Johri AM. (2017) Sex Differences of the Natriuretic Peptide Polymorphism Associated With Angiographic Coronary Atherosclerosis. Cardiol Res. 8(1):1-6.
- Zhu T, DeJong P, Johri AM. (2017) Multiple Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissections: An Uncommon Cause of Acute Coronary Syndrome in a Syrian Refugee. Can J Cardiol., 33(2):292e13-e15.
- Moulson N, Taylor T, Simpson CS, Johri AM. (2017) Current Practices and Attitudes of Canadian Team Physicians Toward Cardiovascular Preparticipation Screening. Can J Cardiol. 33(1):162–165.
- Johri AM, Herr JE, Li TY, Yau O, Nambi V. (2017) Novel Ultrasound Methods to Investigate Carotid Artery Plaque Vulnerability. Review. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 30(2):139-148.
- Johri AM, Mantella LE. (2016) Look to Windward: Novel Applications of Vascular Ultrasound. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 29(11):A23-A24.
- Johri AM, Calnan CM, Matangi MF, MacHaalany, J, Hétu MF. (2016). Focused Vascular Ultrasound (FOVUS) for the Assessment of Atherosclerosis: A Proof-of-Concept Study. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 29(9): 842–849.
- Wilkinson JS, Barake W, Smith C, Thakrar A, Johri AM. (2016). Limitations of Condensed Teaching Strategies to Develop Hand-Held Cardiac Ultrasonography Skills in Internal Medicine Residents. Can J Cardiol. 32(8):1034-7.
- Johri AM, Behl P, Hétu MF, Haqqi M, Ewart P, Day AG, Parfrey B, Matangi MF. (2016) Carotid Ultrasound Plaque Height is a Sensitive Imaging Biomarker for the Assessment of Significant Coronary Artery Disease. Echocardiography 33(2):281-9.
- Jozefacki A, White CA, Shobeiri NS, Hopman WM, Johri AM, Adams MA, Holden RM. (2016) Phosphate excretion is decreased in older cardiac patients with ‘normal’ kidney function; an emerging dietary risk factor? Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 41(4):452-5.
- Dunham-Snary KJ, Hong ZG, Xiong PY, Del Paggio JC, Herr JE, Johri AM, Archer SL. (2016) A mitochondrial redox oxygen sensor in the pulmonary vasculature and ductus arteriosus. Pflügers Archiv - European Journal of Physiology 468(1):43-58.
- Wang Y, Liu G, Hu H, Li TY, Johri AM, Li X, Wang J. (2015) Stable Encapsulated Air Nanobubbles in Water. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 54(48):14291-4.
- Al-Turki MA, Patton D, Crean AM, Horlick E, Dhillon R, Johri AM. (2015) Spontaneous Thrombosis of a Giant Left Circumflex Artery Draining Into the Coronary Sinus. Case Report. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 6(4):640-2.
- Bhatia, RS, Ivers, N, Yin CX, Myers D, Nesbitt G, Edwards J, Yared K, Wadhera R, Wu JC, Wong B, Hansen M, Weinerman A, Shadowitz S, Johri A, Farkouh M, Thavendiranathan P, Udell JA, Rambihar S, Chow C-M, Hall J, Thorpe KE, Rakowski H, Weiner RB. (2015) Design and methods of the Echo WISELY (Will Inappropriate Scenarios for Echocardiography Lessen SignificantlY) study: An investigator-blinded randomized controlled trial of education and feedback intervention to reduce inappropriate echocardiograms. Am Heart J. 170(2):202-9.
- Ryan JJ, Huston J, Kutty S, Hatton ND, Bowman L, Tian L, Herr JE, Johri AM, Archer SL. (2015) Right Ventricular Adaptation and Failure in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Can J Cardiology 31(4):391-406.
- Johri AM, Chitty DW, Hua L, Marincheva G, Picard MH. (2015) Assessment of image quality in real time three-dimensional dobutamine stress echocardiography: an integrated 2D/3D approach. Echocardiography 32(3): 496-507.