My research interests lie in interlinking mucosal, innate and adaptive immune responses to provide improved understanding of the pathophysiology of endometriosis. Our long-term goal is to explore therapeutic manipulation of uterine immune cells in the context of angiogenesis during pregnancy or in pathological conditions such as endometriosis.
Dr. Tayade’s research is focused on understanding the pathophyisology of endometriosis. The unifying theme of his research program is to determine how neo-angiogenesis is regulated by endothelial and hematopoietic progenitor cells and to elucidate the mechanisms by which these cell types could be therapeutically manipulated in physiological processes such as pregnancy and in pathological conditions such as endometriosis. Specifically he is interested in defining the association of immune mechanisms with neoangiogenesis and survival of endometriotic lesions. His laboratory is investigating specific mechanisms supporting blood vessel growth in endometriosis that can be safely targeted using anti-angiogenic therapies. He has established a new mouse xenogeneic engraftment model and currently validating the efficacy of several anti-angiogenic compounds. His laboratory uses a combination of molecular biology approaches, patient-based studies and immunodeficient mouse models. Dr. Tayade is recipient of J. Christian Herr Award from the American Society for Reproductive Immunology for outstanding research contribution.
Sources of Research Funds:
Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council, Canada Foundation for Innovation, and Industrial Awards from Bayer Pharmaceuticals and Primus Pharmaceuticals,
- Miller JE, Koti M, Tayade C. IL-33-ILC2 axis in the female reproductive tract. Trends Mol Med. 2022 Jul;28(7):569-582.
- Lingegowda H, Williams BJ, Spiess KG, Sisnett DJ, Lomax AE, Koti M, Tayade C. Role of the endocannabinoid system in the pathophysiology of endometriosis and therapeutic implications. J Cannabis Res. 2022 Oct 7;4(1):54.
- McCallion A, Nasirzadeh Y, Lingegowda H, Miller JE, Khalaj K, Ahn S, Monsanto SP, Bidarimath M, Sisnett DJ, Craig AW, Young SL, Lessey BA, Koti M, Tayade C. Estrogen mediates inflammatory role of mast cells in endometriosis pathophysiology. Front Immunol. 2022 Aug 9;13:961599.
- Miller JE, Lingegowda H, Sisnett DJ, Metz CN, Gregersen PK, Koti M, Tayade C. T helper 17 axis and endometrial macrophage disruption in menstrual effluent provides potential insights into the pathogenesis of endometriosis. F S Sci. 2022 Aug;3(3):279-287.
- Lingegowda H, Miller JE, McCallion A, Childs T, Lessey BA, Koti M, Tayade C. Implications of dysregulated endogenous cannabinoid family members in the pathophysiology of endometriosis. F S Sci. 2021 Nov;2(4):419-430
- Miller JE, Lingegowda H, Symons LK, Bougie O, Young SL, Lessey BA, Koti M, Tayade C. IL-33 activates group 2 innate lymphoid cell expansion and modulates endometriosis. JCI Insight. 2021 Dec 8;6(23):e149699.
- Lingegowda H, Miller JE, Marks RM, Symons LK, Alward T, Lomax AE, Koti M, Tayade C. Synthetic Cannabinoid Agonist WIN 55212-2 Targets Proliferation, Angiogenesis, and Apoptosis via MAPK/AKT Signaling in Human Endometriotic Cell Lines and a Murine Model of Endometriosis. Front Reprod Health. 2021 Oct 5;3:726936. doi: 10.3389/frph.2021.726936.
- Miller JE, Ahn SH, Marks RM, Monsanto SP, Fazleabas AT, Koti M, Tayade C.IL-17A Modulates Peritoneal Macrophage Recruitment and M2 Polarization in Endometriosis. Front Immunol. 2020 Feb 14;11:108.
- Symons LK, Miller JE, Tyryshkin K, Monsanto SP, Marks RM, Lingegowda H, Vanderbeck K, Childs T, Young SL, Lessey BA, Koti M, Tayade C. Neutrophil recruitment and function in endometriosis patients and a syngeneic murine model.FASEB J. 2020 Jan;34(1):1558-1575.
- Khalaj K, Miller JE, Lingegowda H, Fazleabas AT, Young SL, Lessey BA, Koti M, Tayade C. Extracellular vesicles from endometriosis patients are characterized by a unique miRNA-lncRNA signature. JCI Insight. 2019 Sep 19;4(18).
- Symons LK, Miller JE, Kay VR, Marks RM, Liblik K, Koti M, Tayade C.The Immunopathophysiology of Endometriosis. Trends Mol Med. 2018 Sep;24(9):748-762.
- Miller JE, Monsanto SP, Ahn SH, Khalaj K, Fazleabas AT, Young SL, Lessey BA, Koti M, Tayade C. Interleukin-33 modulates inflammation in endometriosis. Sci Rep. 2017 Dec 20;7(1):17903.
- Khalaj K, Ahn SH, Bidarimath M, Nasirzadeh Y, Singh SS, Fazleabas AT, Young SL, Lessey BA, Koti M, Tayade C A balancing act: RNA binding protein HuR/TTP axis in endometriosis patients. Sci Rep. 2017 Jul 19;7(1):5883.
- Monsanto SP, Daher S, Ono E, Pendeloski KPT, Trainá É, Mattar R, Tayade C. Cervical cerclage placement decreases local levels of proinflammatory cytokines in patients with cervical insufficiency. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Oct;217(4):455.e1-455.e8
- Khalaj K, Miller JE, Fenn CR, Ahn S, Luna RL, Symons L, Monsanto SP, Koti M, Tayade C. RNA-Binding Proteins in Female Reproductive Pathologies. Am J Pathol. 2017 Jun;187(6):1200-1210.
- Ahn SH, Singh V, Tayade C. Biomarkers in endometriosis: challenges and opportunities. Fertil Steril. 2017 Mar;107(3):523-532.
- Bidarimath M, Khalaj K, Kridli RT, Kan FW, Koti M, Tayade C.Extracellular vesicle mediated intercellular communication at the porcine maternal-fetal interface: A new paradigm for conceptus-endometrial cross-talk. Sci Rep. 2017 Jan 12;7:40476. Doi
- Miller JE, Ahn SH, Monsanto SP, Khalaj K, Koti M, Tayade C. Implications of immune dysfunction on endometriosis associated infertility. Oncotarget. 2017 Jan 24;8(4):7138-7147.
- Ahn SH, Khalaj K, Young SL, Lessey BA, Koti M, Tayade C. Immune-inflammation gene signatures in endometriosis patients. Fertil Steril. 2016 Nov;106(6):1420-1431.e7.
- Monsanto SP, Edwards AK, Zhou J, Nagarkatti P, Nagarkatti M, Young SL, Lessey BA, Tayade C. Surgical removal of endometriotic lesions alters local and systemic proinflammatory cytokines in endometriosis patients. Fertil Steril. 2016 Apr;105(4):968-977.e5. doi:
- Ahn SH, Edwards AK, Singh SS, Young SL, Lessey BA, Tayade C.IL-17A Contributes to the Pathogenesis of Endometriosis by Triggering Proinflammatory Cytokines and Angiogenic Growth Factors. J Immunol. 2015 Sep 15;195(6):2591-600. doi:
- Ahn SH, Monsanto SP, Miller C, Singh SS, Thomas R, Tayade C.Pathophysiology and Immune Dysfunction in Endometriosis. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:795976
- Harshavardhan Lingegowda (PhD Student)
- Alison McCallion (PhD Student)
- Danielle Sisnett (PhD Student)
- Katherine Zutautas (PhD Student)
- Donya Hayati (PhD Student)
- Stanimira Aleksieva (MSc Student)
- Kasthuri Ravishanker (MSc Student)
- Maria Saburov (REPD 499 Student)
- Sophia Virani (Laboratory Incharge)