To learn more about Dr. Othman and her lab, Visit Dr. Othman's Lab Website here
Dr. Maha Othman is a clinical pathologist/hematologist with specialized training in haemostasis laboratory testing and the molecular genetics of platelet and bleeding disorders, with over 20 years’ experience in research and academia. Dr Othman obtained her medical degree at Mansoura University School of Medicine in Egypt, and later obtained an MSc in clinical pathology from Mansoura University and a PhD in pathology from Southampton University, UK. She completed postdoctoral fellowship training at Queen’s University, at Dr. David Lillicrap's expert research Lab, Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Queen's University and was an adjunct faculty at the same department for 2 years prior to joining DBMS. She was promoted to Associate Professor in 2013 and was named a Full Professor in 2022.
She is currently a full professor at Queen’s University and St. Lawrence College, Kingston, Canada, and a lecturer in Mansoura University, Egypt. Dr. Othman has authored more than 120 peer-reviewed publications. Her major research interests include: Molecular genetics and diagnosis of Platelet type von Willebrand disease and the role of platelet GPIb alpha protein in haemostasis and beyond, Thromboelastography as a global haemostatic test in haematological and non haematological diseases, Coagulopathy in cancer and pregnancy/ placenta mediated complications. Dr. Othman's research is recognized internationally with many collaborations worldwide. She is a member of several scientific organizing committees on women’s health, advisory boards for international haemostasis conferences and is the previous chair of the ISTH Scientific and Standardization Committee for Women’s Health and a current co-chair on ISTH Committee for disseminated intravascular coagulopathy. Dr. Othman is the current Editor-in-Chief of Current Opinion in Hematology, a senior editor for Seminars in Thrombosis and Haemostasis and sits on the editorial board of Research and Practice in Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
Dr Othman is the recipient of several certificates and awards, including the Executive Women in Leadership certificate from Cornell University, US, the SLC Academic Excellence Award, and the Ontario Minister of Colleges and Universities’ Award of Excellence for Everyday Heroes.
Dr Othman is invested in training and mentorship of undergraduate health and life science students towards a career in medicine and research as well as new immigrants within health care profession. She established the Global Research and Mentorship Group since COVID-19 times, to expand on those mentorship activities.
1990 MD (MB BCh), Mansoura University, Egypt
1993 Residency in Clinical Pathology, Mansoura University, Egypt
1995 MSc in Clinical Pathology, Mansoura University, Egypt
2003 PhD in Pathology, Southampton University, Southampton, UK
2006 Post doctoral fellowship training, Queen’s University, CA
Adjunct Full Professor- DBMS, Queen's University
Full Professor- School of Baccalaureate Nursing, St Lawrence College
Medical and Research Training
Medical/ Research Training:
- Postdoctoral fellowship at Dr. David Lillicrap’s research Lab, Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Oct 2003 – Feb 2006.
- Senior Research Associate, Dr. David Lillicrap ‘s research group, Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario. Mar 2006-Aug 2009
- Clinical and moelcular biology research, Southampton general hospital & Southampton University, UK 1999- 2003
- Clinical Pathology (3 years residency), Mansoura University, Egypt 1992-1995. This includes full training in basic haematology/ haemostasis, immunology, microbiology, clinical chemistry routine laboratory investigations with a research focus in hematology/haemostasis.
- Tierney S, Deng Y, Geauvreau A, Kearn N, Hodgson J, Othman M. Hormonal contraception and thrombosis: Identifying the gaps in knowledge among females in post-secondary education. Heliyon. 2023 Mar 25;9(4):e14867. doi: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2023.e14867. PMID: 37025893; PMCID: PMC10070904.
- Saville O, Elbatarny M, Tera Y, Deng Y, Othman M. Sex differences in D-dimer and critical illness in patients with COVID-19: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2023 Jan;7(1):100042. doi: 10.1016/j.rpth.2023.100042.
- Elsherif S, Zidan A, Saville O, Othman M. ABO Blood Group and the Risk of Thrombosis in Cancer Patients: A Mini-Review. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2023 Sep 26. doi: 10.1055/s-0043-1775568.
- Grandone E, Barcellona D, Intrieri M, Tiscia G, Nappi L, Othman M. The ART of Thromboprophylaxis in the Prevention of Gestational Venous Thromboembolism. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2023 Jun;49(4):330-336. doi: 10.1055/s-0042-1758062.
- Fainchtein K, Tera Y, Kearn N, Noureldin A, Othman M. Hypercoagulability and Thrombosis Risk in Prostate Cancer: The Role of Thromboelastography. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2023 Mar;49(2):111-118. doi: 10.1055/s-0042-1758116.
- Othman M, Pradhan A. Laboratory Testing of Hemostasis in Pregnancy: A Brief Overview. Methods Mol Biol. 2023;2663:111-125. doi: 10.1007/978-1-0716-3175-1_7.
- Minford A, Brandão LR, Othman M, Male C, Abdul-Kadir R, Monagle P, Mumford AD, Adcock D, Dahlbäck B, Miljic P, DeSancho MT, Teruya J. Diagnosis and management of severe congenital protein C deficiency (SCPCD): Communication from the SSC of the ISTH. J Thromb Haemost. 2022 Jul;20(7):1735-1743. doi: 10.1111/jth.15732. Epub 2022 May 15. Erratum in: J Thromb Haemost. 2022 Oct;20(10):2449. Erratum in: J Thromb Haemost. 2023 Apr;21(4):1069.
- Miljic P, Noureldin A, Lavin M, Kazi S, Sanchez-Luceros A, James PD, Othman M. Challenges in the management of women with type 2B von Willebrand disease during pregnancy and the postpartum period: evidence from literature and data from an international registry and physicians' survey-communication from the Scientific and Standardization Committees of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis. J Thromb Haemost. 2023 Jan;21(1):154-163. doi: 10.1016/j.jtha.2022.10.019.
- Bucciol R, Othman M. Tissue factor positive microparticles as a biomarker for increased risk of breast cancer-associated thrombosis: a mini review. Curr Opin Hematol. 2023 Sep 1;30(5):180-185. doi: 10.1097/MOH.0000000000000774.
- Okoye HC, Othman M, Nwagha TU, Onwusulu DN, Onoh RC, Chigbu CO. Evaluating the hemostatic effects of tranexamic acid in women with pre-eclampsia. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2023 Sep;162(3):931-936. doi: 10.1002/ijgo.14779.
- Fainchtein K, Tera Y, Kearn N, Noureldin A, Othman M. Hypercoagulability and Thrombosis Risk in Prostate Cancer: The Role of Thromboelastography. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2023 Mar;49(2):111-118. doi: 10.1055/s-0042-1758116.
- Kwaan HC, Walsh M, Lindholm PF, Othman M. Emerging Use of Viscoelastography in Thrombosis and Hemostasis: A Challenge to Conventional Coagulation Tests? Part I: The Use of Thromboelastography and Thromboelastometry in the Assessment of Hemostatic Function. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2022 Oct;48(7):767-768. doi: 10.1055/s-0042-1756700.
- Ushida T, Cotechini T, Protopapas N, Atallah A, Collyer C, Toews AJ, Macdonald-Goodfellow SK, Tse MY, Winn LM, Pang SC, Adams MA, Othman M, Kotani T, Kajiyama H, Graham CH. Aberrant inflammation in rat pregnancy leads to cardiometabolic alterations in the offspring and intrauterine growth restriction in the F2 generation. J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2022 Dec;13(6):706-718. doi: 10.1017/S2040174422000265. Epub 2022 May 20. Erratum in: J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2022 Dec;13(6):816.
- Erez O, Othman M, Rabinovich A, Leron E, Gotsch F, Thachil J. DIC in Pregnancy - Pathophysiology, Clinical Characteristics, Diagnostic Scores, and Treatments. J Blood Med. 2022 Jan 6;13:21-44. doi: 10.2147/JBM.S273047.
- Tafazoli A, Anil Kumar S, Othman M. Thrombocytopathy vs Platelet hyper-reactivity in COVID-19: diverse pathologies, disease outcomes and therapeutic implications. Platelets. 2022 Jan 2;33(1):48-53. doi: 10.1080/09537104.2021.1961718.
- Ushida T, Cotechini T, Protopapas N, Atallah A, Collyer C, Toews AJ, Macdonald-Goodfellow SK, Yat Tse M, Winn LM, Pang SC, Adams MA, Othman M, Kotani T, Kajiyama H, Graham CH. Aberrant inflammation in rat pregnancy leads to cardiometabolic alterations in their offspring and intrauterine growth restriction in the F2 generation - CORRIGENDUM. J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2022 Dec;13(6):816. doi: 10.1017/S2040174422000368.
- Collins A, Memtsa M , Kirk E, Othman M, Kadir RA. The risk of Venous ThromboEmbolism (VTE) in Early Pregnancy Loss: Review of the Literature and Current Guidelines and the Need for Guidance. Communication from the SSC on Women’s Health Issues for Thrombosis and Haemostasis. J Thromb Haemost. 2022 Jan;20(1):82-91. doi: 10.1111/jth.15561.
- Lavin M, Luceros AS, Kouides P , Abdul-Kadir R , O’Donnell J, Baker R I, Othman M, Haberichter S, on behalf of the ISTH Von Willebrand Factor and Women’s Health Scientific Subcommittees. Examining international practices in the management of pregnant women with von willebrand disease. J Thromb Haemost. 2022 Jan;20(1):82-91. doi: 10.1111/jth.15561.
- Othman M, Favaloro EJ. 2B von Willebrand disease diagnosis: Considerations reflecting on 2021 multisociety guidelines. Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2021 Dec 20;5(8):e12635. doi: 10.1002/rth2.12635.
- Othman M, Baker AT, Gupalo E, Elsebaie A, Bliss CM, Rondina MT, Lillicrap D, Parker AL. To clot or not to clot? Ad is the question-Insights on mechanisms related to vaccine-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia. J Thromb Haemost. 2021 Nov;19(11):2845-2856. doi: 10.1111/jth.15485.
- Othman M, Cormier M, Barnes GD, Comer SP, Connors JM, Denorme F, Khorana AA, Las Casas PH, Morla S, Muia J, Ní Áinle F, Taylor KA, van der Wal DE, Weyand AC, Lavin M; ISTH Registration, Marketing teams. Harnessing Twitter to empower scientific engagement and communication: The ISTH 2020 virtual congress experience. Res Pract Thromb Haemost. 2021 Mar 8;5(2):253-260. doi: 10.1002/rth2.12478.
- Megy K, Downes K, Morel-Kopp MC, Bastida JM, Brooks S, Bury L, Leinoe E, Gomez K, Morgan NV, Othman M, Ouwehand WH, Perez Botero J, Rivera J, Schulze H, Trégouët DA, Freson K. GoldVariants, a resource for sharing rare genetic variants detected in bleeding, thrombotic, and platelet disorders: Communication from the ISTH SSC Subcommittee on Genomics in Thrombosis and Hemostasis. J Thromb Haemost. 2021 Oct;19(10):2612-2617. doi: 10.1111/jth.15459.
- Amgalan A, Malinowski AK, Othman M. COVID-19 and Sex-/Gender-Specific Differences: Understanding the Discrimination. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2021 Jun;47(4):341-347. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1715455.
- van Galen KPM, d'Oiron R, James P, Abdul-Kadir R, Kouides PA, Kulkarni R, Mahlangu JN, Othman M, Peyvandi F, Rotellini D, Winikoff R, Sidonio RF. A new hemophilia carrier nomenclature to define hemophilia in women and girls: Communication from the SSC of the ISTH. J Thromb Haemost. 2021 Aug;19(8):1883-1887. doi: 10.1111/jth.15397.
- Jevtic SD, Malinowski AK, Othman M, Kadir RAA. Physician experiences in management of COVID-19-associated coagulopathy in pregnancy: Communication from the ISTH SSC Subcommittee on Women's Health Issues in Thrombosis and Haemostasis. J Thromb Haemost. 2021 Oct;19(10):2539-2545. doi: 10.1111/jth.15462.
- Malinowski AK, Othman M; International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis' Women's Health Issues in Thrombosis and Haemostasis SSC; Platelet Physiology SSC; Platelet Immunology SSC. Obstetric neuraxial anaesthesia in the setting of immune thrombocytopenia and low platelet counts: call to participate in an international registry. Br J Anaesth. 2021 Apr 27:S0007-0912(21)00212-9
- Othman M, Gresele P. Guidance on the diagnosis and management of PT-VWD: A communication from the platelet physiology subcommittee of the ISTH- REPLY to Comment on the disease' nomenclature. J Thromb Haemost. 2021 Mar;19(3):866-867.
- Servante J, Swallow G, Thornton JG, Myers B, Munireddy S, Malinowski AK, Othman M, Li W, O'Donoghue K, Walker KF. Haemostatic and thrombo-embolic complications in pregnant women with COVID-19: a systematic review and critical analysis. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2021 Feb 5;21(1):108.
- Malhamé I, Othman M, Casais P, D'Souza R, Wald RM, Silversides CK, Sermer M, Shehata N. Communication from the ISTH SSC Subcommittee on Women's Health Issues in Thrombosis and Haemostasis: A Survey on Anticoagulation for Mechanical Heart Valves in Pregnancy. J Thromb Haemost. 2021 Mar;19(3):859-864. doi: 10.1111/jth.15213.
- Kazi S, Malinowski AK, Othman M. The delights and perils of publishing, knowledge-sharing and critique during a pandemic: Observations from COVID-19 coagulopathies. Thromb Res. 2020;192:37-39. doi:10.1016/j.thromres.2020.05.023
- Amgalan A, Othman M. Hemostatic laboratory derangements in COVID-19 with a focus on platelet count [published online ahead of print] 2020 May 26]. Platelets. 2020;1‐6. http://doi.10.1080/09537104.2020.1768523
- Zia A, Kouides P , Khodyakov D , Dao E , Lavin M, Abdul-Kadir R , Othman M , Bauman D , Halimeh S, Winikoff R, Revel-Vilk S. Standardizing Care to Manage Bleeding Disorders in Adolescents with Heavy Menses—A Project from the ISTH Pediatric/Neonatal and Women’s Health SSCs. J Thromb Haemost. [published online ahead of print] 2020 June 23. [published online ahead of print] https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14974
- Amgalan A, Allen T, Othman M, Ahmadzia HK. Systematic Review of Viscoelastic Testing (TEG/ROTEM) in Obstetrics and Recommendations from the Women's SSC of the ISTH 2020 May 1. J Thromb Haemost. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14882
- Paciullo F, Bury L, Noris P, et al. Antithrombotic prophylaxis for surgery-associated venous thromboembolism risk in patients with inherited platelet disorders. The SPATA-DVT Study. Haematologica. 2020;105(7):1948-1956.
- Rabinovich A, Abdul-Kadir R, Thachil J, Iba T, Othman M, Erez O. Reply to "Errors in the diagnosis for DIC due to a statistical misunderstanding". J Thromb Haemost. 2020;18(7):1792-1793. DOI: 10.1111/jth.14831
- Amgalan A, Othman M. TEG in pregnancy: Current challenges and future potential applications [[published online ahead of print] 2020 Mar 24. Thromb Res. 2020;S0049-3848(20)30099-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2020.05.023
- Othman M, Gresele P. Guidance on the diagnosis and management of Platelet- type von Willebrand Disease: a communication from the platelet physiology subcommittee of the ISTH [published online ahead of print] 2020 Apr 12. J Thromb Haemost. 2020;10.1111/jth.14827. https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14827
- Amgalan A, Othman M. Exploring possible mechanisms for COVID-19 induced thrombocytopenia: Unanswered questions [published online 2020 Apr 11]. J Thromb Haemost. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14832
- Othman M, Santamaría Ortiz A, Cerdá M, Erez O, Minford A, Obeng-Tuudah D, Blondon M, Bistervels I, Middeldorp S, Abdul-Kadir R. Thrombosis and hemostasis health in pregnancy: Registries from the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis. Research and Practice in Thrombosis and Haemostasis RPTH journal. Online Aug 2019. doi: 10.1002/rth2.12243.
- Othman M, Han K, Elbatarny M, Kadir R. The Use of Viscoelastic Haemostatic Tests in Pregnancy and Puerperium: Review of the Current Evidence - Communication from the Women’s Health SSC of the ISTH. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis; 2019 Jul;17(7):1184-1189https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14461.
- Hassan H, Azzam H, Othman M, Hassan M, Selim T. Soluble E-selectin, platelet count and mean platelet volume as biomarkers for pre-eclampsia. Pregnancy Hypertension. 2019 July; 17: 1-4.
- Rabinovich A, Abdul-Kadir R, Thachil J, Iba T, Othman M, Erez O. DIC in Obstetrics: Diagnostic Score, Highlights in Management and International Registry- Communication from the DIC and Women’s Health SSCs of the ISTH. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis; 2019 May 29. https://doi: 10.1111/jth.14523.
- Rabbolini DJ, Othman M. Molecular and genetic testing in thrombosis and hemostasis. Seminars Thrombosis Hemostasis J. Preface. Issue to be available online Dec ,2019. Guest editor.
- Kaur H, Fisher K, Othman M. Thromboelastography testing in mice following blood collection from facial vein and cardiac puncture. Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis Journal. 2019 Jul 16. doi: 10.1097/MBC.0000000000000836. [Epub ahead of print]
- Othman M and Osborne K. Peer assisted learning model to support students’ success in a complex science course. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice 2019, Vol. 9, No. 11
- Murray E, Murphy, M, Smith G, Graham C, Othman M. Thromboelastographic analysis of haemostasis in pre-eclamptic and normotensive pregnant women. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2018 Jul 10. doi: 10.1097/MBC.0000000000000759. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29995656
- Borhany M, Fatima N, , Shamsi A, Othman M. Application of the ISTH bleeding score in hemophilia. Transfus Apher Sci. 2018 June 15. pii: S1473-0502(18)30030-2. doi: 10.1016/j.transci.2018.06.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- El Masry S, Azzam H, Youssef H, Othman M, Awad M. Reduced Protein C Global Assay Levels in Infertile Women with in vitro Fertilization Failure: A Pilot Study. Acta Haematol. 2018 Jan 5;139(1):1-6.
- Othman M and Emsely J. Gene of the issue – GP1BA gene mutations associated with bleeding. Platelet J; 2017. 28:8, 832-836
- Othman M, Kaur H. Thromboelastography (TEG). Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1646:533-543.
- Kaur H, Corscadden K, Ware J, Othman M. Thrombocytopathy leading to impaired in vivo haemostasis and thrombosis in platelet type von Willebrand disease. Thromb Haemost. 2017 Feb 28;117(3):543-555. doi: 10.1160/TH16-04-0317.
- Kaur H, D. Siemens R, Black A, Robb S, Barr S, Graham CH, Othman M. Effects of androgen-deprivation therapy on hypercoagulability in prostate cancer patients: a prospective, longitudinal study. Canadian Journal of Urological Association Journal CJUA 2017;11 (1-2):33-38.
- Abd El-Latif M, Azzam A. Othman M, Warda O, El-Sharawy S, Ghoneim H, Assessment of annexin A5 and annexin A2 levels as biomarkers for pre-eclampsia: A pilot study. Pregnancy Hypertension, 2017;(8), 65-69.
- Sears N, Othman M, O’Neil L, Hopman WM. Canadian NCLEX-RN outcomes: A two-year cross-sectional exploratory study in Ontario. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice JNEP 2017; 7(10): 36-45.
- Sánchez-Lueros A, Woods A, Bermejo E, Shukla S, Acharya S, Lavin M, Rydz N, Othman M. PT-VWD posing diagnostic and therapeutic challenges- small case series. 2016 Nov 7:1-7. doi: 10.1080/09537104.2016.1237625.
- Othman M, McLintock C, Kadir R.Thrombosis and Haemostasis Related Issues Women and Pregnancy. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2016 Oct;42(7):693-695.
- Alkhiary W, Azzam H, Yossof MM, Aref S, Othman M, El-Sharawy S. Association of Hemostatic Gene Polymorphisms With Early-Onset Ischemic Heart Disease in Egyptian Patients. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2016 Sep;22(6):535-42.
Othman M, Kaur H, Favaloro EJ, Lillicrap D, Di Paola J, Harrison P, Gresele P; Subcommittees on von Willebrand Disease and Platelet Physiology. Platelet type von Willebrand disease and registry report: communication from the SSC of the ISTH.J Thromb Haemost. 2016 Feb;14(2):411-4.
- Othman M, Hopman WM, Sawyer V, *Kerr C. Elective applied research course: A motivational approach to enhance learning. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice 2016, Vol. 6, No. 4.
- Pettigrew S, McIntoch C, Othman M. Patients perspectives on urgent care centres’ wait times. Health Care Information and Communication; the official journal of COACH, Feb 2016, vol 30 #2. http://www.healthcareimc.com/main/patient-perspectives-on-urgent-care-center-wait-times
- Sistoso M & Othman M. Post-secondary Students’ Perception of Flu Immunization. Health Care Information and Communication; the official journal of COACH, Oct 2016, vol 30 #3.
- Kaur H, Borhany M, Azzam H, Costa-Lima C, Ozelo M, Othman M. The utility of International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis-Bleeding Assessment Tool and other bleeding questionnaires in assessing the bleeding phenotype in two platelet function defects. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2016 Jul;27(5):589-93.
- Simeoni I, Stephens JC, Hu F, Deevi SV, Megy K, Bariana TK, Lentaigne C, Schulman S, Sivapalaratnam S, Vries MJ, Westbury SK, Greene D, Papadia S, Alessi MC, Attwood AP, Ballmaier M, Baynam G, Bermejo E, Bertoli M, Bray PF, Bury L, Cattaneo M, Collins P, Daugherty LC, Favier R, French DL, Furie B, Gattens M, Germeshausen M, Ghevaert C, Goodeve A, Guerrero J, Hampshire DJ, Hart DP, Heemskerk JW, Henskens YM, Hill M, Hogg N, Jolley JD, Kahr WH, Kelly AM, Kerr R, Kostadima M, Kunishima S, Lambert MP, Liesner R, Lopez J, Mapeta RP, Mathias M, Millar CM, Nathwani A, Neerman-Arbez M, Nurden AT, Nurden P, Othman M, Peerlinck K, Perry DJ, Poudel P, Reitsma P, Rondina M, Smethurst PA, Stevenson W, Szkotak A, Tuna S, van Geet C, Whitehorn D, Wilcox DA, Zhang B, Revel-Vilk S, Gresele P, Bellissimo D, Penkett CJ, Laffan MA, Mumford AD, Rendon A, Gomez K, Freson K, Ouwehand WH, Turro E. A comprehensive high-throughput sequencing test for the diagnosis of inherited bleeding, thrombotic and platelet disorders. doi: 10.1182/blood-2015-12-688267. Blood; 2016 Jun 9;127(23):2791-803.
- Kasawara KT, Cotechini T, Macdonald-Goodfellow SK, Surita FG, Pinto E Silva JL, Tayade C, Othman M, Ozolinš TR, Graham CH. Moderate Exercise Attenuates Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Inflammation and Associated Maternal and Fetal Morbidities in Pregnant Rats. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0154405. PLoS One. 2016 Apr 28;11(4):e0154405.
- Othman M, Kaur H, Favaloro EJ, Lillicrap D, Di Paola J, Harrison P, Gresele P; Subcommittees on von Willebrand Disease and Platelet Physiology. Platelet type von Willebrand disease and registry report: communication from the SSC of the ISTH. doi: 10.1111/jth.13204. J Thromb Haemost. 2016 Feb;14(2):411-4.
- Murray EK, Murphy MS, Smith GN, Hopman WM, Othman M, Graham CH. Thromboelastography Identifies Cyclic Haemostatic Variations in Healthy Women Using Oral Contraceptives. Thromb Res. 2015 Nov;136(5):1022-6.
- Sears NA, Othman M, Mahoney K. Examining the relationships between NCLEX-RN performance and nursing student factors, including undergraduate nursing program performance: A systematic review. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 2015; 5 (11) 10-15.
- Alkhiary W, Azzam H, Yossof MM, Aref S, Othman M, El-Sharawy S. Association of Hemostatic Gene Polymorphisms With Early-Onset Ischemic Heart Disease in Egyptian Patients.Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2015 Sep;22(6):535-42.
- Maceachern K, Kaur H, Toukh M, Mumal I, Hamilton A, Scovil S, James P, Elbatarny HS, Othman M. Comprehensive Evaluation of Hemostasis in Normal Women: Impact on the Diagnosis of Mild Bleeding Disorders. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2015 Jan;21(1):72-81.
- Arbelaez A, Niemann J, Freney R, Othman M, Emsley J, Mohammed S, Favaloro EJ.'Bleeding in the Jungle'. Am J Hematol. 2015 Apr 8.[Epub ahead of print]
- Kaur H, Corscadden K, Lott C, Elbatarny HS, Othman M. Bromelain has paradoxical effects on blood coagulability: a study using thromboelastography. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2014 Dec 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kaur H., Ozelo M, Scovil S, James P, Othman M. Systematic analysis of bleeding phenotype in PT-VWD compared to type 2B VWD using an electronic bleeding questionnaire. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. June 2014. In press.
- Toukh M, Siemens DR, Black A, Robb S, Leveridge M, Graham CH, Othman M. (2014)Thromboelastography identifies hypercoagulablilty and predicts thromboembolic complications in patients with prostate cancer. Thromb Res. 133(1), 88-95.
- Othman M, Emsley J. Platelet- Type von Willebrand Disease: Toward an improved understanding of the " Sticky situation". Semin Thromb Hemost. 2014 Feb 4
- Othman M, Kaur H, Emsley J. Platelet-type von Willebrand disease: new insights into the molecular pathophysiology of a unique platelet defect. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2013 Sep;39(6):663-73
- Scepansky E, Othman M, Smith H.Aquired von Willebrand syndrome with a type 2B phenotype: Diagnostic and therapeutic dillemma. Acta Haematol. 2013 Nov 28;131(4):213-217.
- Othman M. Rare bleeding disorders: genetic, laboratory,clinical and molecular aspects. Preface. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2013 ;39(6):575-8.
- Toukh M, Ozelo MC, Angelillo-Scherrer A, Othman M. A novel use of thromboelastography in type 2B von Willebrand disease. International Journal of Laboratory Haematology. In press
- Toukh M, Gordon SP, Othman M. Construction Noise Induces Hypercoagulability and Elevated Plasma Corticosteroids in Rats.Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2013 Apr 8.
- Enayat S, Ravanbod S, Rassoulzadegan M, Jazebi M, Tarighat S, Ala F, Emsley J, Othman M. A novel D235Y mutation in the GP1BA gene enhances platelet interaction with von Willebrand factor in an Iranian family with platelet-type von Willebrand disease. Thromb Haemost. 2012;108(5).
-Gupalo E, Kuk C, Qadura M, Buriachkovskaia L, OthmanM. Platelet - adenovirus versus inert particles interaction: Effect on aggregation and the role of platelet membrane receptors. Platelet- 2012, July 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Toukh M, Pereira EJ, FalconBJ, Liak C, Lerner M, HopmanWM, Iscoe S, Fitzpatrick MF , Othman M. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Reduces Hypercoagulability, as Assessed by Thromboelastography, in Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Resp Phys and Neurobiol J- 2012 Jul 5. [Epub ahead of print].
- Cotechini T, Othman M, Graham CH. Nitroglycerin prevents coagulopathies and foetal death associated with abnormal maternal inflammation in rats. Thromb Haemost. 2012 Jan 25;107(4).
- Falcón BJ, Cotechini T, Macdonald-Goodfellow SK, Othman M, Graham CH. Abnormal inflammation leads to maternal coagulopathies associated with placental haemostatic alterations in a rat model of foetal loss.Thromb Haemost. 2012 Mar 1;107(3):438-47.
- Othman M. Platelet-type von Willebrand disease: a rare, often misdiagnosed and underdiagnosed bleeding disorder.Semin
Thromb Hemost. 2011 Jul;37(5):464-9.
- Gupalo E, Buriachkovskaia L, Othman M. Human platelets express CAR with localization at the sites of intercellular interaction. Virol
J. 2011 Sep 30;8:456.
- Othman M, Lopez JA, Ware J.Platelet-type von Willebrand disease update: the disease, the molecule and the animal model. Expert
Rev Hematol. 2011 Oct;4(5):475-7.
- Renaud SJ, Cotechini T, Quirt JS, Macdonald-Goodfellow SK, Othman M, Graham CH Spontaneous pregnancy loss mediated
by abnormal maternal inflammation in rats is linked to deficient uteroplacental perfusion. J Immunol. 2011 Feb 1;186(3):1799-808.
- Othman M.Platelet-type Von Willebrand disease: three decades in the life of a rare bleeding disorder.Blood Rev. 2011 Jul;25(4):147-53. 2011.03.003. Review.
- Rouzbeh Chegeni, Linda Vickars, Emmanuel J Favaloro, David Lillicrap, Maha Othman. Functional analysis of three recombinant A1-VWF domain mutants in comparison to wild type and plasma-derived VWF facilitates subtyping in type 2 von Willebrand disease. Thromb Res. 2011 Feb;127(2):161-6
- Alexander Hamilton, Margareth Ozelo, Jayne Leggo, Colleen Notley, Hannah Brown, Juan Pablo Frontroth, Anne Angelillo-Scherrer, Fariba Baghaei, Said M Enayat, Emmanuel Favaloro, David Lillicrap, Maha Othman . Frequency of Platelet type versus Type 2B von Willebrand Disease: results of an International registry based study. Thromb Haemost. 2011 Mar 1;105(3):501-8.
- Chitlur M, Sorensen B, Rivard GE, Young G, Ingerslev J, Othman M, Nugent D, Kenet G, Escobar M, Lusher J. Standardization of Thromboelastography: A Report from the TEG-ROTEM Working Group. Haemophilia 2011 17(3):532-537
- Othman M, Gordon SP, Iscoe S. Repeated inspiratory occlusions in anesthetized rats acutely increase blood coagulability as assessed by thromboelastography. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology, 2010; 61-66
- Othman M, Powell S, Hopman WM, Lillicrap D.Variability of thromboelastographic responses following the administration of rFVIIa to haemophilia A dogs supports the individualization of therapy with a global test of haemostasis. Haemophilia 2010;16(6):919-25
- Othman M, Chirinian Y, Brown C, Notley C, Hickson N, Hampshire D, Buckley S, Waddington S, Parker AL, Baker A, James P, Lillicrap D. Functional characterization of a 13 bp deletion (c.-1522_-1510del13) in the promoter of the von Willebrand factor gene in type 1 von Willebrand disease.gene in type 1 von Willebrand disease. Blood 2010; 116(18): 3645-3652
- Othman M, Falcon B, Kadir R. Global Haemostasis in Pregnancy: Are we Utilising Thromboelastography to its Full potential? Semin Thromb Haemost 2010; 36(7):738-46
- Othman M. Global Haemostasis: New approaches to patient diagnosis and treatment monitoring” Semin Thromb Hemost. 2010; Oct36(7):695-8 Preface author and Guest editor for the issue.
- Othman and Hamilton. Platelet-type von Willebrand disease: results of a worldwide survey from the Canadian PT-VWD project. Acta Haematol. 2010;123(2):126-8
- Othman M, Chirinian Y, Hegadorn C, Powell S, Hopman W , Lillicrap D. Thromboelastography reflects global hemostatic variation among severe haemophilia A dogs at rest and following acute exercise. Hemophilia 2009; 1-9
- Othman M, Favaloro EJ. Genetics of type 2B von Willebrand disease: "true 2B," "tricky 2B," or "not 2B." What are the modifiers of the phenotype?. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2008;34(6):520-31
- Qadura M, Waters B, Burnett E, Chegeni R, Bradshaw S, Hough C, Othman M, Lillicrap D. Recombinant and plasma-derived factor VIII products induce distinct splenic cytokine microenvironments in hemophilia A mice. Blood 2009; 114(4):871-880
- Othman M, Renaud S, Quirt J, MacDonald-Goodfellow S, Graham C. Thromboelastogrpahy Reveals Kinetics of LPS-Induced Coagulopathy and Correlates to Fetal Outcome in a Rat Model of Pregnancy Complications. Blood 2009; 114 (22), 4200-4200
- Othman M, Chegeni R, Vickars LM, Favaloro EJ, Lillicrap D. Functional Characterization of Three VWF-A1 Domain Mutations Causing Type 2 Von Willebrand Disease. Blood 114 (22), 1305-1305
- Qadura M, Othman M, Waters B, Chegeni R, Walker K, Labelle A, Ozelo M, Hough C, Lillicrap D. Reduction of the immune response to factor VIII mediated through tolerogenic factor VIII presentation by immature dendritic cells. J Thromb Haemost 2008 ;6(12):2095-104
- Ozelo MC, Zapata Esp R, Qadura M, Chegeni R, Othman M. Molecular genetic testing of hemostasis and thrombosis in developing countries: achievements, hopes, and challenges. Semin Thromb Haemost 2008;34(6):569-78
- Othman M. Molecular genetic testing in hemostasis and thrombosis: the past, the present, and the future. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2008;34(6):485-9
- Othman M. Differential identification of PT-VWD from type 2B VWD and GP1BA nomenclature issues. British Journal of Haematology, 2008;142: 308–26
- Othman M. Platelet-Type von Willebrand Disease and Type 2B von Willebrand Disease: A Story of Nonidentical Twins when Two Different Genetic Abnormalities Evolve into Similar Phenotypes. Semin Thromb Haemost 2007; 33: 780-86
- Othman M, Lillicrap D: Distinguishing between non-identical twins: platelet type and type 2B von Willebrand disease. British Journal of Haematology, 2007 138 (5), 665–66
- Othman M. Elbatarny HS, Byrne CD, and O’Shaughnessy DF. Von Willebrand Factor Short Sequence Repeat Locus 2 (Intron 40) Consists of Three Polymorphic Subloci. Acta Hemaologica 2007;117(3):177-80
- Othman M, Labelle A, Mazzetti I, Elbatarny HS, Lillicrap D: Adenovirus induced thrombocytopenia: the role of P-selectin and von Willebrand factor in virus- mediated platelet clearance. Blood 2007; 109(7):2832-9
- James PD, Notley C, Hegadorn C, Leggo J, Tuttle A, Tinlin S, Brown C, Andrews C, Labelle A, Chirinian Y, O'Brien L, Othman M, Rivard G, Rapson D, Hough C, Lillicrap D. The mutational spectrum of type 1 von Willebrand disease: Results from a Canadian cohort study. Blood. 2007;109(1):145-54.
Prior to 2007 (selected)
- Othman M, Notley C, Lavender FL, White H, Byrne CD, Lillicrap D, O'Shaughnessy DF. Identification and functional characterization of a novel 27-bp deletion in the macroglycopeptide-coding region of the GPIBA gene resulting in platelet-type von Willebrand disease. Blood. 2005;105(11):4330-4336
-Othman M, Labelle A, Hough C,Lazarus AH, Lillicrap D. Evaluation of three reticuloendothelial system Blocking modalities on the outcome of adenoviral mediated gene therapy in hemophilic mice. Molecular Therapy 2005; 11 (S1), S236
- Othman M, Mazzetti I, Labelle A, Lillicrap D. Blood Dexamethasone Promotes Transgene Expression and Supresses the Early Immune/Inflammatory Response in Adenovirus-Mediated Gene Delivery to Hemophilic mice. Blood 2005; 106 (11), 5534-5534
- O'Brien LA, James PD, Othman M, Berber E, Cameron C, Notley CR, Hegadorn CA, Sutherland JJ, Hough C, Rivard GE, O'Shaunessey D, Lillicrap D; Association of Hemophilia Clinic Directors of Canada. Founder von Willebrand factor haplotype associated with type 1 von Willebrand disease. Blood. 2003;102(2):549-57.
- Othman M, Austen B, Bruty S, O'shaughnessy DF. Factor FVIII Analysis And Thromboelastography In Patients With Retinal Vein Thrombosis. British Journal of Haematology 2001; Supplement 113, 14