To learn more about Dr. Othman and her lab, Visit Dr. Othman's Lab Website here
Dr. Othman obtained her Medical degree, completed 3-years residency in Clinical Pathology and received training in haematology, immunology, microbiology and clinical chemistry with a particular focus on haemostasis and related research. This was followed by an MSc at the same university. She obtained her PhD and received Clinical and Molecular Biology research training at Southampton University, UK . Dr. Othman completed a 3-year postdoctoral fellowship training at Dr. David Lillicrap's expert research Lab, Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Queen's University and was an adjunct faculty at the same department for 2 years prior to joining DBMS. She was an Associate Professor from 2013-2020 and was named a Professor in 2020. Her major research interests include: Molecular genetics and diagnosis of Platelet type von Willebrand disease and the role of platelet GPIb alpha protein in haemostasis and beyond, Thromboelastography as a global haemostatic test in haematological and non haematological diseases, Coagulopathy in prostate cancer and pregnancy/ placenta mediated complications (collaborative work with Drs C Graham and R Simens) Dr. Othman's research is recognized internationally with many collaborations worldwide. She has over 75 publications in peer-reviewed journals. She is an associate editor for Seminars Thrombosis and Haemostasis Journal. She is currently the Chair of the International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis- Scientific and Standardization Committee (SSC) on Women's Health Issues in Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
1990 MD (MB BCh), Mansoura University, Egypt
1993 Residency in Clinical Pathology, Mansoura University, Egypt
1995 MSc in Clinical Pathology, Mansoura University, Egypt
2003 PhD in Pathology, Southampton University, Southampton, UK
2006 Post doctoral fellowship training, Queen’s University, CA
Adjunct Professor- DBMS, Queen's University
Full Professor- School of Baccalaureate Nursing, St Lawrence College
Medical and Research Training
Medical/ Research Training:
- Postdoctoral fellowship at Dr. David Lillicrap’s research Lab, Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Oct 2003 – Feb 2006.
- Senior Research Associate, Dr. David Lillicrap ‘s research group, Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario. Mar 2006-Aug 2009
- Clinical and moelcular biology research, Southampton general hospital & Southampton University, UK 1999- 2003
- Clinical Pathology (3 years residency), Mansoura University, Egypt 1992-1995. This includes full training in basic haematology/ haemostasis, immunology, microbiology, clinical chemistry routine laboratory investigations with a research focus in hematology/haemostasis.
Hemostasis is the focus of my research. Our lab is interested in three major areas:
Platelet type- von Willebrand disease (PT-VWD):
PT-VWD is a rare platelet defect that shares common clinical and laboratory features with another much more common bleeding disorder known as type 2B VWD. This differentiation is important as it determines the treatment decision. The Canadian- international project that I led was the first international effort to investigate the occurrence of PT-VWD (platelet GPIBA gene defect) and its misdiagnosis with type 2B von Willebrand disease (VWF gene defect). I created an international online database registry www.pt-vwd.com that is well supported by the International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH). Through dedicated 15 years of work investigating the molecular pathology of PT-VWD we demonstrated two crucial findings: A) PT-VWD is misdiagnosed in 15% of cases of type 2B VWD. B) DNA analysis is required to verify the diagnosis of this disease in addition to the limited standard laboratory methods. A functionally characterised mutation we identified outside the VWF binding region was crucial to highlight a previously non-recognised role for the macroglycopeptide region (site of the mutation) of the GPIb alpha protein. The results of the novel studies in the mouse model carried out by our group at Queen’s have furthered the understanding of the kinetics of thrombus formation and clot structure in the diseased animals. An international RAND-based study to obtain a formal consensus among experts in order to generate international guidelines, for the diagnosis and management of the disease, is currently being conducted.
Thromobelastography (TEG) Applications:
We have been promoting the use and applications of the global haemostatic assay thromboelastography (TEG) in different haematological and non-haematological disorders.
Our studies in haemophilia dogs following acute exercise and in response to rFVIIa treatment supported the value of TEG not only as an effective and early monitoring test, but also as a tool for individualized therapy. Our TEG collaborative studies showed the effectiveness of this tool in obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), initially with a rat model of the disease then via a double blinded study in patients with severe OSA. We demonstrated hypercoagulability can be reversed by CPAP; the standard treatment in the disease.
Our collaborative studies in patients with prostate cancer (PCa) showed PCa patients are hypercoagulable and TEG findings predicted thromboembolic events particularly in those with advanced disease on ADT. Our extended longitudinal study in patients under ADT have revealed new and interesting data about the effect of this classic therapy on the cogulability of patients overtime.
Coagulopathies in pregnancy and placenta mediated complications:
In our collaborative studies in LPS-induced inflmmation model of pre-eclampsia and pregnancy loss, we demonstrated evidence of local placental and systemic maternal coagulopathy in conjunction with maternal inflammation, impaired utero-placental haemodynamics. Modulation of inflammation reduced/prevented prevented inflammation-associated coagulopathies and foetal death. The NO mimetic glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) also prevented foetal death and the inflammation-induced coagulopathies in similar animal models. These studies provide a rationale for GTN in improving maternal/foetal outcomes in some pregnancy mediated complications; something we plan to investigate further.
In assessing women’s coagulopathies, we evlauted TEG in assessing coagulation profile in women with gestational hypertension and pre-eclampsia, in healthy women with different phases of menstruation and in women receiving oral contraception. The latter studies are useful in establishing women’s normal ranges and in introducing a sensitive method to allow personalized contraception. This data also alerts clinicians and investigators about exercising caution when interpreting results of haemostatic tests in females at different phases of menstrual cycle.
- Kazi S, Malinowski AK, Othman M. The delights and perils of publishing, knowledge-sharing and critique during a pandemic: Observations from COVID-19 coagulopathies. Thromb Res. 2020;192:37-39. doi:10.1016/j.thromres.2020.05.023
- Amgalan A, Othman M. Hemostatic laboratory derangements in COVID-19 with a focus on platelet count [published online ahead of print] 2020 May 26]. Platelets. 2020;1‐6. http://doi.10.1080/09537104.2020.1768523
- Zia A, Kouides P , Khodyakov D , Dao E , Lavin M, Abdul-Kadir R , Othman M , Bauman D , Halimeh S, Winikoff R, Revel-Vilk S. Standardizing Care to Manage Bleeding Disorders in Adolescents with Heavy Menses—A Project from the ISTH Pediatric/Neonatal and Women’s Health SSCs. J Thromb Haemost. [published online ahead of print] 2020 June 23. [published online ahead of print] https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14974
- Amgalan A, Allen T, Othman M, Ahmadzia HK. Systematic Review of Viscoelastic Testing (TEG/ROTEM) in Obstetrics and Recommendations from the Women's SSC of the ISTH 2020 May 1. J Thromb Haemost. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14882
- Paciullo F, Bury L, Noris P, et al. Antithrombotic prophylaxis for surgery-associated venous thromboembolism risk in patients with inherited platelet disorders. The SPATA-DVT Study. Haematologica. 2020;105(7):1948-1956.
- Rabinovich A, Abdul-Kadir R, Thachil J, Iba T, Othman M, Erez O. Reply to "Errors in the diagnosis for DIC due to a statistical misunderstanding". J Thromb Haemost. 2020;18(7):1792-1793. DOI: 10.1111/jth.14831
- Amgalan A, Othman M. TEG in pregnancy: Current challenges and future potential applications [[published online ahead of print] 2020 Mar 24. Thromb Res. 2020;S0049-3848(20)30099-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2020.05.023
- Othman M, Gresele P. Guidance on the diagnosis and management of Platelet- type von Willebrand Disease: a communication from the platelet physiology subcommittee of the ISTH [published online ahead of print] 2020 Apr 12. J Thromb Haemost. 2020;10.1111/jth.14827. https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14827
- Amgalan A, Othman M. Exploring possible mechanisms for COVID-19 induced thrombocytopenia: Unanswered questions [published online 2020 Apr 11]. J Thromb Haemost. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14832
- Othman M, Santamaría Ortiz A, Cerdá M, Erez O, Minford A, Obeng-Tuudah D, Blondon M, Bistervels I, Middeldorp S, Abdul-Kadir R. Thrombosis and hemostasis health in pregnancy: Registries from the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis. Research and Practice in Thrombosis and Haemostasis RPTH journal. Online Aug 2019. doi: 10.1002/rth2.12243.
- Othman M, Han K, Elbatarny M, Kadir R. The Use of Viscoelastic Haemostatic Tests in Pregnancy and Puerperium: Review of the Current Evidence - Communication from the Women’s Health SSC of the ISTH. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis; 2019 Jul;17(7):1184-1189https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.14461.
- Hassan H, Azzam H, Othman M, Hassan M, Selim T. Soluble E-selectin, platelet count and mean platelet volume as biomarkers for pre-eclampsia. Pregnancy Hypertension. 2019 July; 17: 1-4.
- Rabinovich A, Abdul-Kadir R, Thachil J, Iba T, Othman M, Erez O. DIC in Obstetrics: Diagnostic Score, Highlights in Management and International Registry- Communication from the DIC and Women’s Health SSCs of the ISTH. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis; 2019 May 29. https://doi: 10.1111/jth.14523.
- Rabbolini DJ, Othman M. Molecular and genetic testing in thrombosis and hemostasis. Seminars Thrombosis Hemostasis J. Preface. Issue to be available online Dec ,2019. Guest editor.
- Kaur H, Fisher K, Othman M. Thromboelastography testing in mice following blood collection from facial vein and cardiac puncture. Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis Journal. 2019 Jul 16. doi: 10.1097/MBC.0000000000000836. [Epub ahead of print]
- Othman M and Osborne K. Peer assisted learning model to support students’ success in a complex science course. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice 2019, Vol. 9, No. 11
- Murray E, Murphy, M, Smith G, Graham C, Othman M. Thromboelastographic analysis of haemostasis in pre-eclamptic and normotensive pregnant women. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2018 Jul 10. doi: 10.1097/MBC.0000000000000759. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29995656
- Borhany M, Fatima N, , Shamsi A, Othman M. Application of the ISTH bleeding score in hemophilia. Transfus Apher Sci. 2018 June 15. pii: S1473-0502(18)30030-2. doi: 10.1016/j.transci.2018.06.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- El Masry S, Azzam H, Youssef H, Othman M, Awad M. Reduced Protein C Global Assay Levels in Infertile Women with in vitro Fertilization Failure: A Pilot Study. Acta Haematol. 2018 Jan 5;139(1):1-6.
- Othman M and Emsely J. Gene of the issue – GP1BA gene mutations associated with bleeding. Platelet J; 2017. 28:8, 832-836
- Othman M, Kaur H. Thromboelastography (TEG). Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1646:533-543.
- Kaur H, Corscadden K, Ware J, Othman M. Thrombocytopathy leading to impaired in vivo haemostasis and thrombosis in platelet type von Willebrand disease. Thromb Haemost. 2017 Feb 28;117(3):543-555. doi: 10.1160/TH16-04-0317.
- Kaur H, D. Siemens R, Black A, Robb S, Barr S, Graham CH, Othman M. Effects of androgen-deprivation therapy on hypercoagulability in prostate cancer patients: a prospective, longitudinal study. Canadian Journal of Urological Association Journal CJUA 2017;11 (1-2):33-38.
- Abd El-Latif M, Azzam A. Othman M, Warda O, El-Sharawy S, Ghoneim H, Assessment of annexin A5 and annexin A2 levels as biomarkers for pre-eclampsia: A pilot study. Pregnancy Hypertension, 2017;(8), 65-69.
- Sears N, Othman M, O’Neil L, Hopman WM. Canadian NCLEX-RN outcomes: A two-year cross-sectional exploratory study in Ontario. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice JNEP 2017; 7(10): 36-45.
- Sánchez-Lueros A, Woods A, Bermejo E, Shukla S, Acharya S, Lavin M, Rydz N, Othman M. PT-VWD posing diagnostic and therapeutic challenges- small case series. 2016 Nov 7:1-7. doi: 10.1080/09537104.2016.1237625.
- Othman M, McLintock C, Kadir R.Thrombosis and Haemostasis Related Issues Women and Pregnancy. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2016 Oct;42(7):693-695.
- Alkhiary W, Azzam H, Yossof MM, Aref S, Othman M, El-Sharawy S. Association of Hemostatic Gene Polymorphisms With Early-Onset Ischemic Heart Disease in Egyptian Patients. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2016 Sep;22(6):535-42.
Othman M, Kaur H, Favaloro EJ, Lillicrap D, Di Paola J, Harrison P, Gresele P; Subcommittees on von Willebrand Disease and Platelet Physiology. Platelet type von Willebrand disease and registry report: communication from the SSC of the ISTH.J Thromb Haemost. 2016 Feb;14(2):411-4.
- Othman M, Hopman WM, Sawyer V, *Kerr C. Elective applied research course: A motivational approach to enhance learning. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice 2016, Vol. 6, No. 4.
- Pettigrew S, McIntoch C, Othman M. Patients perspectives on urgent care centres’ wait times. Health Care Information and Communication; the official journal of COACH, Feb 2016, vol 30 #2. http://www.healthcareimc.com/main/patient-perspectives-on-urgent-care-center-wait-times
- Sistoso M & Othman M. Post-secondary Students’ Perception of Flu Immunization. Health Care Information and Communication; the official journal of COACH, Oct 2016, vol 30 #3.
- Kaur H, Borhany M, Azzam H, Costa-Lima C, Ozelo M, Othman M. The utility of International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis-Bleeding Assessment Tool and other bleeding questionnaires in assessing the bleeding phenotype in two platelet function defects. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2016 Jul;27(5):589-93.
- Simeoni I, Stephens JC, Hu F, Deevi SV, Megy K, Bariana TK, Lentaigne C, Schulman S, Sivapalaratnam S, Vries MJ, Westbury SK, Greene D, Papadia S, Alessi MC, Attwood AP, Ballmaier M, Baynam G, Bermejo E, Bertoli M, Bray PF, Bury L, Cattaneo M, Collins P, Daugherty LC, Favier R, French DL, Furie B, Gattens M, Germeshausen M, Ghevaert C, Goodeve A, Guerrero J, Hampshire DJ, Hart DP, Heemskerk JW, Henskens YM, Hill M, Hogg N, Jolley JD, Kahr WH, Kelly AM, Kerr R, Kostadima M, Kunishima S, Lambert MP, Liesner R, Lopez J, Mapeta RP, Mathias M, Millar CM, Nathwani A, Neerman-Arbez M, Nurden AT, Nurden P, Othman M, Peerlinck K, Perry DJ, Poudel P, Reitsma P, Rondina M, Smethurst PA, Stevenson W, Szkotak A, Tuna S, van Geet C, Whitehorn D, Wilcox DA, Zhang B, Revel-Vilk S, Gresele P, Bellissimo D, Penkett CJ, Laffan MA, Mumford AD, Rendon A, Gomez K, Freson K, Ouwehand WH, Turro E. A comprehensive high-throughput sequencing test for the diagnosis of inherited bleeding, thrombotic and platelet disorders. doi: 10.1182/blood-2015-12-688267. Blood; 2016 Jun 9;127(23):2791-803.
- Kasawara KT, Cotechini T, Macdonald-Goodfellow SK, Surita FG, Pinto E Silva JL, Tayade C, Othman M, Ozolinš TR, Graham CH. Moderate Exercise Attenuates Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Inflammation and Associated Maternal and Fetal Morbidities in Pregnant Rats. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0154405. PLoS One. 2016 Apr 28;11(4):e0154405.
- Othman M, Kaur H, Favaloro EJ, Lillicrap D, Di Paola J, Harrison P, Gresele P; Subcommittees on von Willebrand Disease and Platelet Physiology. Platelet type von Willebrand disease and registry report: communication from the SSC of the ISTH. doi: 10.1111/jth.13204. J Thromb Haemost. 2016 Feb;14(2):411-4.
- Murray EK, Murphy MS, Smith GN, Hopman WM, Othman M, Graham CH. Thromboelastography Identifies Cyclic Haemostatic Variations in Healthy Women Using Oral Contraceptives. Thromb Res. 2015 Nov;136(5):1022-6.
- Sears NA, Othman M, Mahoney K. Examining the relationships between NCLEX-RN performance and nursing student factors, including undergraduate nursing program performance: A systematic review. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 2015; 5 (11) 10-15.
- Alkhiary W, Azzam H, Yossof MM, Aref S, Othman M, El-Sharawy S. Association of Hemostatic Gene Polymorphisms With Early-Onset Ischemic Heart Disease in Egyptian Patients.Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2015 Sep;22(6):535-42.
- Maceachern K, Kaur H, Toukh M, Mumal I, Hamilton A, Scovil S, James P, Elbatarny HS, Othman M. Comprehensive Evaluation of Hemostasis in Normal Women: Impact on the Diagnosis of Mild Bleeding Disorders. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2015 Jan;21(1):72-81.
- Arbelaez A, Niemann J, Freney R, Othman M, Emsley J, Mohammed S, Favaloro EJ.'Bleeding in the Jungle'. Am J Hematol. 2015 Apr 8.[Epub ahead of print]
- Kaur H, Corscadden K, Lott C, Elbatarny HS, Othman M. Bromelain has paradoxical effects on blood coagulability: a study using thromboelastography. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2014 Dec 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kaur H., Ozelo M, Scovil S, James P, Othman M. Systematic analysis of bleeding phenotype in PT-VWD compared to type 2B VWD using an electronic bleeding questionnaire. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. June 2014. In press.
- Toukh M, Siemens DR, Black A, Robb S, Leveridge M, Graham CH, Othman M. (2014)Thromboelastography identifies hypercoagulablilty and predicts thromboembolic complications in patients with prostate cancer. Thromb Res. 133(1), 88-95.
- Othman M, Emsley J. Platelet- Type von Willebrand Disease: Toward an improved understanding of the " Sticky situation". Semin Thromb Hemost. 2014 Feb 4
- Othman M, Kaur H, Emsley J. Platelet-type von Willebrand disease: new insights into the molecular pathophysiology of a unique platelet defect. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2013 Sep;39(6):663-73
- Scepansky E, Othman M, Smith H.Aquired von Willebrand syndrome with a type 2B phenotype: Diagnostic and therapeutic dillemma. Acta Haematol. 2013 Nov 28;131(4):213-217.
- Othman M. Rare bleeding disorders: genetic, laboratory,clinical and molecular aspects. Preface. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2013 ;39(6):575-8.
- Toukh M, Ozelo MC, Angelillo-Scherrer A, Othman M. A novel use of thromboelastography in type 2B von Willebrand disease. International Journal of Laboratory Haematology. In press
- Toukh M, Gordon SP, Othman M. Construction Noise Induces Hypercoagulability and Elevated Plasma Corticosteroids in Rats.Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2013 Apr 8.
- Enayat S, Ravanbod S, Rassoulzadegan M, Jazebi M, Tarighat S, Ala F, Emsley J, Othman M. A novel D235Y mutation in the GP1BA gene enhances platelet interaction with von Willebrand factor in an Iranian family with platelet-type von Willebrand disease. Thromb Haemost. 2012;108(5).
-Gupalo E, Kuk C, Qadura M, Buriachkovskaia L, OthmanM. Platelet - adenovirus versus inert particles interaction: Effect on aggregation and the role of platelet membrane receptors. Platelet- 2012, July 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Toukh M, Pereira EJ, FalconBJ, Liak C, Lerner M, HopmanWM, Iscoe S, Fitzpatrick MF , Othman M. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Reduces Hypercoagulability, as Assessed by Thromboelastography, in Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Resp Phys and Neurobiol J- 2012 Jul 5. [Epub ahead of print].
- Cotechini T, Othman M, Graham CH. Nitroglycerin prevents coagulopathies and foetal death associated with abnormal maternal inflammation in rats. Thromb Haemost. 2012 Jan 25;107(4).
- Falcón BJ, Cotechini T, Macdonald-Goodfellow SK, Othman M, Graham CH. Abnormal inflammation leads to maternal coagulopathies associated with placental haemostatic alterations in a rat model of foetal loss.Thromb Haemost. 2012 Mar 1;107(3):438-47.
- Othman M. Platelet-type von Willebrand disease: a rare, often misdiagnosed and underdiagnosed bleeding disorder.Semin
Thromb Hemost. 2011 Jul;37(5):464-9.
- Gupalo E, Buriachkovskaia L, Othman M. Human platelets express CAR with localization at the sites of intercellular interaction. Virol
J. 2011 Sep 30;8:456.
- Othman M, Lopez JA, Ware J.Platelet-type von Willebrand disease update: the disease, the molecule and the animal model. Expert
Rev Hematol. 2011 Oct;4(5):475-7.
- Renaud SJ, Cotechini T, Quirt JS, Macdonald-Goodfellow SK, Othman M, Graham CH Spontaneous pregnancy loss mediated
by abnormal maternal inflammation in rats is linked to deficient uteroplacental perfusion. J Immunol. 2011 Feb 1;186(3):1799-808.
- Othman M.Platelet-type Von Willebrand disease: three decades in the life of a rare bleeding disorder.Blood Rev. 2011 Jul;25(4):147-53. 2011.03.003. Review.
- Rouzbeh Chegeni, Linda Vickars, Emmanuel J Favaloro, David Lillicrap, Maha Othman. Functional analysis of three recombinant A1-VWF domain mutants in comparison to wild type and plasma-derived VWF facilitates subtyping in type 2 von Willebrand disease. Thromb Res. 2011 Feb;127(2):161-6
- Alexander Hamilton, Margareth Ozelo, Jayne Leggo, Colleen Notley, Hannah Brown, Juan Pablo Frontroth, Anne Angelillo-Scherrer, Fariba Baghaei, Said M Enayat, Emmanuel Favaloro, David Lillicrap, Maha Othman . Frequency of Platelet type versus Type 2B von Willebrand Disease: results of an International registry based study. Thromb Haemost. 2011 Mar 1;105(3):501-8.
- Chitlur M, Sorensen B, Rivard GE, Young G, Ingerslev J, Othman M, Nugent D, Kenet G, Escobar M, Lusher J. Standardization of Thromboelastography: A Report from the TEG-ROTEM Working Group. Haemophilia 2011 17(3):532-537
- Othman M, Gordon SP, Iscoe S. Repeated inspiratory occlusions in anesthetized rats acutely increase blood coagulability as assessed by thromboelastography. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology, 2010; 61-66
- Othman M, Powell S, Hopman WM, Lillicrap D.Variability of thromboelastographic responses following the administration of rFVIIa to haemophilia A dogs supports the individualization of therapy with a global test of haemostasis. Haemophilia 2010;16(6):919-25
- Othman M, Chirinian Y, Brown C, Notley C, Hickson N, Hampshire D, Buckley S, Waddington S, Parker AL, Baker A, James P, Lillicrap D. Functional characterization of a 13 bp deletion (c.-1522_-1510del13) in the promoter of the von Willebrand factor gene in type 1 von Willebrand disease.gene in type 1 von Willebrand disease. Blood 2010; 116(18): 3645-3652
- Othman M, Falcon B, Kadir R. Global Haemostasis in Pregnancy: Are we Utilising Thromboelastography to its Full potential? Semin Thromb Haemost 2010; 36(7):738-46
- Othman M. Global Haemostasis: New approaches to patient diagnosis and treatment monitoring” Semin Thromb Hemost. 2010; Oct36(7):695-8 Preface author and Guest editor for the issue.
- Othman and Hamilton. Platelet-type von Willebrand disease: results of a worldwide survey from the Canadian PT-VWD project. Acta Haematol. 2010;123(2):126-8
- Othman M, Chirinian Y, Hegadorn C, Powell S, Hopman W , Lillicrap D. Thromboelastography reflects global hemostatic variation among severe haemophilia A dogs at rest and following acute exercise. Hemophilia 2009; 1-9
- Othman M, Favaloro EJ. Genetics of type 2B von Willebrand disease: "true 2B," "tricky 2B," or "not 2B." What are the modifiers of the phenotype?. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2008;34(6):520-31
- Qadura M, Waters B, Burnett E, Chegeni R, Bradshaw S, Hough C, Othman M, Lillicrap D. Recombinant and plasma-derived factor VIII products induce distinct splenic cytokine microenvironments in hemophilia A mice. Blood 2009; 114(4):871-880
- Othman M, Renaud S, Quirt J, MacDonald-Goodfellow S, Graham C. Thromboelastogrpahy Reveals Kinetics of LPS-Induced Coagulopathy and Correlates to Fetal Outcome in a Rat Model of Pregnancy Complications. Blood 2009; 114 (22), 4200-4200
- Othman M, Chegeni R, Vickars LM, Favaloro EJ, Lillicrap D. Functional Characterization of Three VWF-A1 Domain Mutations Causing Type 2 Von Willebrand Disease. Blood 114 (22), 1305-1305
- Qadura M, Othman M, Waters B, Chegeni R, Walker K, Labelle A, Ozelo M, Hough C, Lillicrap D. Reduction of the immune response to factor VIII mediated through tolerogenic factor VIII presentation by immature dendritic cells. J Thromb Haemost 2008 ;6(12):2095-104
- Ozelo MC, Zapata Esp R, Qadura M, Chegeni R, Othman M. Molecular genetic testing of hemostasis and thrombosis in developing countries: achievements, hopes, and challenges. Semin Thromb Haemost 2008;34(6):569-78
- Othman M. Molecular genetic testing in hemostasis and thrombosis: the past, the present, and the future. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2008;34(6):485-9
- Othman M. Differential identification of PT-VWD from type 2B VWD and GP1BA nomenclature issues. British Journal of Haematology, 2008;142: 308–26
- Othman M. Platelet-Type von Willebrand Disease and Type 2B von Willebrand Disease: A Story of Nonidentical Twins when Two Different Genetic Abnormalities Evolve into Similar Phenotypes. Semin Thromb Haemost 2007; 33: 780-86
- Othman M, Lillicrap D: Distinguishing between non-identical twins: platelet type and type 2B von Willebrand disease. British Journal of Haematology, 2007 138 (5), 665–66
- Othman M. Elbatarny HS, Byrne CD, and O’Shaughnessy DF. Von Willebrand Factor Short Sequence Repeat Locus 2 (Intron 40) Consists of Three Polymorphic Subloci. Acta Hemaologica 2007;117(3):177-80
- Othman M, Labelle A, Mazzetti I, Elbatarny HS, Lillicrap D: Adenovirus induced thrombocytopenia: the role of P-selectin and von Willebrand factor in virus- mediated platelet clearance. Blood 2007; 109(7):2832-9
- James PD, Notley C, Hegadorn C, Leggo J, Tuttle A, Tinlin S, Brown C, Andrews C, Labelle A, Chirinian Y, O'Brien L, Othman M, Rivard G, Rapson D, Hough C, Lillicrap D. The mutational spectrum of type 1 von Willebrand disease: Results from a Canadian cohort study. Blood. 2007;109(1):145-54.
Prior to 2007 (selected)
- Othman M, Notley C, Lavender FL, White H, Byrne CD, Lillicrap D, O'Shaughnessy DF. Identification and functional characterization of a novel 27-bp deletion in the macroglycopeptide-coding region of the GPIBA gene resulting in platelet-type von Willebrand disease. Blood. 2005;105(11):4330-4336
-Othman M, Labelle A, Hough C,Lazarus AH, Lillicrap D. Evaluation of three reticuloendothelial system Blocking modalities on the outcome of adenoviral mediated gene therapy in hemophilic mice. Molecular Therapy 2005; 11 (S1), S236
- Othman M, Mazzetti I, Labelle A, Lillicrap D. Blood Dexamethasone Promotes Transgene Expression and Supresses the Early Immune/Inflammatory Response in Adenovirus-Mediated Gene Delivery to Hemophilic mice. Blood 2005; 106 (11), 5534-5534
- O'Brien LA, James PD, Othman M, Berber E, Cameron C, Notley CR, Hegadorn CA, Sutherland JJ, Hough C, Rivard GE, O'Shaunessey D, Lillicrap D; Association of Hemophilia Clinic Directors of Canada. Founder von Willebrand factor haplotype associated with type 1 von Willebrand disease. Blood. 2003;102(2):549-57.
- Othman M, Austen B, Bruty S, O'shaughnessy DF. Factor FVIII Analysis And Thromboelastography In Patients With Retinal Vein Thrombosis. British Journal of Haematology 2001; Supplement 113, 14