Note: I am not currently accepting new graduate students.
BSc (Biochemistry), Queen's, 1982
PhD (Biological Chemistry), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988
I have been an adjunct professor with DBMS since 2006 and teach in the following courses:
- BCHM 315 (Proteins and Enzymes)
- BCHM 317 (Introductory Biochemistry Laboratory)
- BCHM 313 (Molecular Biochemistry)
- BCHM 441 (Current Topics in Biochemistry)
- BCHM 482 (Proteomics and Metabolomics)
My focus now is on teaching with a particular interest in protein structure and function. While no longer actively engaged in research, my background is in the use of X-ray crystallography and molecular dynamics simulations to study protein structure and function. At Queen's I have worked on structures of calpain and ice-binding proteins with Dr. Peter Davies and prior to that I have determined structures of a xylanase while at the National Research Council and 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase while at the Université Laval.
- Wang W, Graham LA, Han Z, Eves R, Gruneberg AK, Campbell RL, Zhang H, Davies PL (2020) "Carrot antifreeze protein has an irregular ice-binding site that confers weak freezing point depression but strong inhibition of ice recrystallziation" Biochem J. 477, 2179-2192 (PubMed: 32459306)
- Guo S, Campbell R, Davies PL, Allingham JS. “Phasing with calcium at home” (2019) Acta Crystallogr F Struct Biol Commun 75, 377-384 (PubMed: 31045567)
- McCartney CE, Ye Q, Campbell RL, Davies PL. (2018) “Insertion sequence 1 from calpain-3 is functional in calpain-2 as an internal propeptide.” J Biol Chem 293, 17716-17730 (PubMed: 30254072)
- Ye Q, Campbell RL, Davies PL. (2018) “Structures of human calpain-3 protease core with and without bound inhibitor reveal mechanisms of calpain activation.” J Biol Chem. 293, 4056-4070 (PubMed: 29382717)
- Guo S, Stevens CA, Vance TDR, Olijve LLC, Graham LA, Campbell RL, Yazdi SR, Escobedo C, Bar-Dolev M, Yashunsky V, Braslavsky I, Langelaan DN, Smith SP, Allingham JS, Voets IK, Davies PL. (2017) Structure of a 1.5-MDa adhesin that binds its Antarctic bacterium to diatoms and ice. Sci Adv. 3, e1701440 (PubMed: 28808685)
- Stevens CA, Semrau J, Chiriac D, Litschko M, Campbell RL, Langelaan DN, Smith SP, Davies PL, Allingham JS. (2017) “Peptide backbone circularization enhances antifreeze protein thermostability.” Protein Sci. 26, 1932-1941. (PubMed: 28691252)